THIS YEAR’S GRADUATES EXHIBIT THIER FINAL WORK
This year’s graduate show at the University of Portsmouth Eldon Building opens on Friday afternoon/evening and then runs through the following week…
This Friday, the 2nd of June, sees the kicking off of the week long University of Portsmouth CCi Graduate Show for 2017! This is a key date in the city’s creative diary, seeing 100s of graduating students from the university exhibit, show and screen their final work. We’ve been down there on the opening nights for years now and always look forward to seeing the work and speaking to the graduates.
This year’s graduate show at the University of Portsmouth Eldon Building opens on Friday afternoon/evening (2nd June) and then runs through the following week (5th to the 9th) and then the different courses will shoot off to their own exhibitions in London. To see what’s on show check out the interactive website full of rich content, such as new videos, final year student profiles, showreels and what’s happening on the night as part of the celebrations, plus an interactive map. Disciplines included in the showcase around the Eldon site are Architecture, Design (Fashion, Interior, Graphic, Textiles) Illustration, Digital technologies (Media, Sound, Games, Animation), Film Production, Music, Photography.
Friday’s Line Up
– Live performances are starting off with Larry Cunningham playing the bagpipes to signify the start of the Show at 5pm, followed by the bands ‘Becky Jerams’ (5.15pm & 7.30pm) and ‘Sombulance’ (6pm, 6.35pm & 7.15pm). Drama, Performance and Musical Theatre students will perform ‘2017 Showcase Cabaret’ at 6.15pm and a moving piece called ‘Any Change’ at 6.50pm.
– Live Radio Broadcast by Express FM presented by Darren Gamblen, featuring live interviews with students and their lecturers.
– Pop-up Live Newsroom presented by students and staff working with Star & Crescent.
– I love Creative Careers VIP event (4pm), an exhibition of work by students on placement and the launch of a new animation. Invite only.
– Outside Television Broadcast by CCI TV from the Mary Rose, a very exciting series of live broadcasts on the student CCI TV channel at 11am, 1pm and 3pm (each for 45 mins), showcased on screens around Eldon in the evening. Read about the collaboration with the Mary Rose here.
Strong Island Creative Graduates to Watch Awards
From 2014 we’ve also been running our Creative Graduates to Watch awards for our favourite illustrator, designer and photographer. We’ve had some awesome winners over the last three years and we’re looking forward to picking 2017’s winners this week. Some of our past winners include graphics 2014 winner Andy Lethbridge who worked at Fontsmith, as well as studying typeface design at the Cooper Union in New York…and designed the Strong Island Clothing Co script logo. Illustration 2015 winner Ollie Tubb is now Marketing & Communications Co-ordinator at Aspex Gallery. Graphics 2015 winner Harry Stewardson is now at SEA in London, Photography 2015 winner Lina Ivanova is an exhibited photographer with exciting new work, graphics 2016 winner Ryan Robinson has exhibited with Portsmouth Guildhall and Aspex Gallery and also featured in Digital Arts magazine as one of their top 8 designers at New Designers. The 9 winners so far have gone on to some incredible work, you can see them all below.
From 2014 we’ve…been running our Creative Graduates to Watch awards for our favourite illustrator, designer and photographer…
Throughout Friday keep an eye out on social media for live transmissions…
For the graduate show there is no need to register, however if you do so, you will be added to CCI’s mailing list – click here to get involved via EventBrite. Throughout Friday keep an eye out on social media for live transmissions on Twitter @UniPortCCI, Facebook Live, Snapchat, Instagram – Uniportsmouthcci. You can also use the hashtag #ccigraduateshow2017 when tweeting, posting your photos and video too!
If you want to head up to the smoke to catch the individual course shows and exhibitions they are:
Fashion & Textile Design – Graduate Fashion Week, Old Truman Brewery
Illustration – New Designers Part 2, Business Design Centre
Graphic Design – D&AD New Blood Festival, Old Truman Brewery
Photography – Menier Gallery
Drama & Performance, Musical Theatre, MRes Creative Practices (Acting) – The People’s Theatre
Film Production – British Film Institute (BFI)
Animation – Moving Picture Company
Dates, times and addresses of London Shows can be viewed on Graduate Show website.
Graduate Show Artwork
This year’s Graduate Show artwork design is by graphics student Chloe Hunt. This was the winning design selected via a competition which Strong Island helped judge.
Below are some of our photos from previous years, you can see more and read up on our reviews HERE.